FAQ – How to Become a MN Real Estate Agent
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Complete Prelicense Education Courses 1, 2 & 3.
- After passing Course 1, you may take the required state and national portions of the license exam. You can schedule your exam with Pearson Vue (1-833-273-1946) and must apply for the exam within one year of passing at least course 1. You must apply for the license under your Broker within one year of passing the state exam, or you will need to re-take the state examination.
- You must complete Course 2 and Course 3 before you can get your salesperson’s license.
- Work with your Primary Broker to submit your application for license. Only a licensed Broker can submit the application, as you will be working under your Broker’s license.
About Our Prelicense Salesperson Education
The content for each course is Outlined in State Statute: Department of Commerce at this link. “Course 1-Lay of the Land “ and “Courses 2 and 3 -From the Ground Up” are the Minnesota approved pre-license courses, required before you can begin work under your Broker’s License.
Each section is timed, and must be completed in order, with a quiz that must be passed. This assures that you understand the material in preparation for the state exam. You have120 days to complete each course.
At the end of each course, there is an online examination that you must pass with a 75% score. The exam requires a proctor, a person who signs a proctor form saying they saw you take the exam with no assistance from books, notes, your computer, etc. When you have completed the course, submitted the proctor form and a course evaluation, a Certificate of Completion will be provided for each course. You will need a Certificate of Completion for Course 1, in-hand, when you take the Real Estate Licensing examination at a Pearson Vue Test site. Testing information can be found here.